93 Dodge Caravan - guage dials speratically flucuate

A friend has a 93 caravan that's been well maintained. She just had her vehicle in the shop to find out when the guage dials swing back and forth,at times. They couldn't pin point the trouble and it continues to do this. The mechanic is known to be very reliable. The owner has had work done there before.

Any idea what may cause this. Someone told them it could be the alternator. If it is the alternator, when they expect the cost to be, to replace it? The are near Sarasota,FL

The car has 65K miles on it.

Reply to
Liz

It could be the alternator. Do the lights flicker with the gauges? If not, it's probably the voltage regulator that controls the instruments (a component on the instrument cluster) or a bad ground. She might want to take it to the dealer or a place that specializes in electical problems. Your average garage mechanic might not have experience in this area.

Reply to
Jim

There is an instrument guage voltage regulator mounted in back of the instument cluster. If I were to guess, that's where I would look first.

Pete

Reply to
pete selby