'93 Dodge van goes dead when I park it

Got a 1993 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3 6-cylinder, 176k miles, still in great shape, we've kept it up mechanically plus have had the transmission rebuilt twice. The last week or so, the thing has taken to going dead when I back off the gas to turn into a parking place, or when I come to a stop in the parking place and shift the transmission into park. Anybody have an idea what might be going on here? FYI, in the last six to eight months we have had the EGR valve, coolant temperature sensor and alternator replaced, the valve cover gaskets replaced and the second trans rebuild done.

Reply to
Greg Bailey

Almost forgot, fuel pump was also changed 'bout a year ago.

Reply to
Greg Bailey

Nobody has answered, so here goes. There are a ton of things that can cause this behavior. Vacuum leaks, computer problems, etc etc. This one has no easy "book" solution. If you can find a truly competent mechanic, maybe he can determine the problem without wasting too much time.

I have known people to trade cars to get away from conditions such as the one you describe.

And then again, it could be dead simple.

But, my best wishes go with you.

Reply to
HLS

I worked on one of these a few years back. When I checked with the local dealership, I found that the fuel system computer had been upgraded 6 times since leaving the factory. I honestly don't remember if that was the fix, but might be a good place to start. I'm betting it is an electrical (compter) problem. Lots of luck.

Reply to
Texas Dan

"Greg Bailey" wrote: (1993 Dodge Grand Caravan 6-Cyl 3.3L 176k miles)

In the last eight months the EGR valve, coolant temp sensor, alternator and valve cover gaskets were replaced, and the transmission was rebuilt twice.

Recently, the engine dies when I back off the gas to turn into a parking place, or when I come to a stop in the parking place and shift the trans into park. Any idea what might be going on here? ______________________________________________________

Can you provide more detailed information about the symptoms:

1.) Exactly what is happening just before the engine quits. speed, steering, controls, sounds, noises, smells, ....

2.) Exactly what is happening just after the engine quits. speed, steering, controls, sounds, noises, smells, ....

3.) Exactly what is happening when the engine quits. quits dead, runs a few seconds then dies, runs rough until it stalls out, lurches, sounds, noises, smells, dash lights, indicators, brakes actuated, trans gear......

4.) How does the car know that you are backing off the gas to turn into a parking space instead of backing off the gas to slow for a traffic signal?

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan