93 ford ranger

this is an automatic with air. has 284k, burns no oil. engine is a 2.3L (mitsubishi I think) and has been matained by ford since new. This was a fleet truck so ford did very little except very basic maintainance. truck was running ok up to now when the gas milage dropped to 16mpg and is bogging down on acceleration especially after idleing for a short time. once up to speed runs ok. has had plugs and wires (8 plugs/ 4 cyl) and throttle sensor replaced. injectors cleaned. cat converter replaced last year. this engine has no egr valve. IM at wits end. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Reply to
autowrench

timming belt ? o2 senser?

Reply to
tudysmuck

thanks for the reply. the timing belt was changed about 6 months ago, i will double check it anyway. do you know if there is a way of checking the o2 sensor other than replacing it?

Reply to
autowrench

Yes, check the voltage on it once the vehicle has warmed up to operating temperature. Also check it at the ECM input that the signal is present. The wire could be broken somewhere along the way.

Reply to
Ryan Underwood

thanks again, I will check that o2 sensor this wekend. let you know what i find out. mebee i need a bigger hammer eh?

Reply to
autowrench

Im back, checked o2 sensor and it ckecked ok hot. thumped on the cat, nothing loose. Ihad a friend check for any codes even though I don't have a engine light, No codes found. We put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and checked at idle and 2200 rpm A good solid 35psi. The truck acts like its starving for gas but only after it idles for awhile and it is getting worse. We even pulled the injectors, their clean and ok. I hate to take it to ford, pay the diost. fee and be told no problem found. Guess I will have to wait until it dies. This is for the birds.

Reply to
autowrench

I have a 99 Ranger that used to gag on acceleration. Would idle all day long, but as soon as you step on the gas , it would die or stutter. Took it to the dealer, and they replaced the mass airflow sensor, and that was

60,000 miles ago, and still running fine...
Reply to
drb1956