'94 Accord Wobbling Brakes

I've got a 1994 Accord EX which had a worsening problem a few months ago, where the car would shake (fairly violently) during braking at high speeds - especially downhill and with a carload of people. To try to fix the problem, I had the brakes - pads and rotors - replaced about a month and a half ago. Immediately after replacement the brakes were squealing and grinding, so I took the car back to the shop and had them install another set of brakes. The same squealing and grinding occurred again, but it seemed to be lessening over time, so I decided to drive it for a while to see what would happen. The result is that now - about 5 weeks later - there is very little squealing and no grinding, but the original problem of violent wobbling during high- speed braking is back with a vengeance. I've recently had all four wheels aligned as well, and I'm becoming really frustrated with the whole situation. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Reply to
nscheiner

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1173167655.711860.93280 @s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

1) Stay away from cheap aftermarket parts. Use OEM only.

2) Were the anti-squeal shims on the backs of the pads actually reinstalled by the garage that did the work?

3) See here:
an excellent rundown on causes of brake pulsation. 4) Honda has two types of brake pads for your car: long-life, and low-noise. If you swap the pads again, use OEM low-noise pads.
Reply to
Tegger

First, read the information at the link below:

As Tegger indicated, you should use first quality parts, definitely not Autozone cheap stuff. I do not feel OEM dealership parts are required, but that is your decision.

And the mechanic needs to install the parts properly..(see Babcox)

He should check to see that the rear brakes are contributing as they should. Sometimes they dont, applying extra load on the fronts and problems develop from there.

Also, be sure that the other components of your suspension system are in good shape. I have seen cases where worn ball joints, etc, will behave pretty well until stresses are put on them, and then buffeting starts. Your "wobbling" is not the same as what I am calling "buffeting", but either or both can make a car hard to handle when they occur.

Reply to
<HLS