94 Astro AWD Spontaneously Breaks Torsion Bar?

I have a 1994 Astro AWD with the front suspension similar (if not identical) to the 4WD Blazers, Sonomas, Jimmys and S-10s made that year. I parked the vehical in my drive for about 3 months and went to move it and found that the top of the left (driver side) tire was rubbing real bad. The vehicle also had a weird "lean" to it. I put it on blocks and checked it out and found that the left torsion bar was completely loose! As if it was broken in half (which was obviously not the case).

To make a long story short I followed the repair manual's instructions to remove the bar (I have both Chiltons and Haynes) and could not get the bar to come out - even through I would wiggle it with my hand (loose as the proverbiale goose).

Questions:

  1. Has anyone every heard of a small GM 4wd truck "spontaneously" loosing the spring tension in a torsion bar like this?

  1. How the hell am I supposed to get the thing out of the suspension? Cut it in half?

As always any helpfull comments are appreciated.

Jeff Mitchell Waterford, MI

Reply to
Jeff