94 Buick Regal Engine Performance Problem?

My 3800 engine with 120k miles seems to 'buck' when the engine is at fairly low RPM's (15-20k)and when a load is placed on it. For example: when I have the Cruise Control set to 65mph and I come up on a hill, the car will buck and shake until I stomp on the gas. A transmission shop said it was an engine performance problem, but after new plugs, wires and air filter I have the same problem? Any ideas?

Reply to
Chuck

Dave J and Lynne J Shepherd

Have you checked the EGR(Exhaust Gas Recirculation) System? Sounds like the culprit to me...

Reply to
bigbossfan80

Thanks for the reply! Please clarify for a newbie...what is a "TCC"?

Reply to
Chuck

Reply to
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

Something like a carbon-tracked ignition coil could cause this problem..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

in addition to all the valid suggestions todate, you might consider the fuel filter if not already changed.

Reply to
Jim

I have a similar, but opposite problem with my '90 Cutlass (fuel filter has been changed). When cold, it seems to slip when accelerating nor will it downshift (revs up to 4-5K and stays there when cold). After it warms up, it mostly runs normal, although on occasion it will behave as if cold (slipping and not downshifting). After it's warm, occasionally I need to force a downshift by stomping on the gas, then it will downshift normally (at least for someone that's got their foot into it ;-). Is this the TCC mentioned in a previous post or something else outside of the tranny?

I tried changing the fluid/filter two weeks ago and it has improved quite a bit. Previously, it did not get better after it warmed up.

The tranny is a rebuilt w/33K and nearly two years of use. My daughter drives it which is not to say that it's been babied for the past two years (she doesn't burn rubber, but well never mind).

If you have any suggestions, either post them or e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@fnal.gov, hopefully it's just a relatively simple fix. -PapaRick

Jim wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo