94 Olds 88 - 3.8L - Coolant fans won't shut off

With a stone-cold engine, I turn the switch to ignition, and after a very brief delay, both coolant fans come on, low speed. After another very brief delay, the larger (driver's side) fan goes into high speed. The fans never cut off, but continue to run non-stop in high speed even after engine is warmed up. I've got coolant fan schematics from AllDataDIY and have eliminated the engine coolant temperature sensor that feeds the PCM (correct ohm's at sensor for engine temperature per chart and correct voltage across sensor (5V). I have also eliminated the A/C Pressure Fan Switch that feeds the PCM. It's open with A/C off and has correct voltage across switch (5V). Those two sensors/switches are the only ones I believe have the opportunity to energize the low and high speed coolant fan relays under the hood. I've also swapped the low and high speed coolant fan relays around since they have identical GM part numbers, with no change. It's beginning to point to the PCM, but I really hate to lay out a couple of hundred $$ if there's something else (simple?) I may have missed. Any input would greatly be appreciated!

Reply to
Stan

At this point you probably need a scan tool to diagnose this - it would help to see what the PCM is seeing for CTS and A/C refrigerant pressure, and whether it's actually commanding the fans on. Also, some GM vehicles will command the cooling fans on if any PCM trouble code is active.

Reply to
Robert Hancock