'94 Olds shift indicator adjustment

The gear indicator (park, N, D, etc.) on the dash for our automatic transmission is slightly misaligned (3.1 engine, '94 Olds Cutlass Ciera). This doesn't bother me but drives my wife crazy and she drives this car most of the time. My GM service manual says 1) Position shift lever in "N" (Neutral) gate notch. 2) Guide clip on edge of shift bowl to centrally position pointer on "N" (Neutral). 3) Push clip onto bowl. Care must be taken to assure that cable rests on bowl, not on column jacket. A sketch shows the steering column (mine is tiltable) going into another tube called "steering column shift bowl" -- located just under the dash. It shows a shift indicator cable clip which apparently clips onto the rim of the "steering column shift bowl." It implies that unclipping and moving this clip until the gear indicator is centered on N and then reclipping it back on the "steering column shift bowl" would solve the problem. My problem is there is no clip on the "steering column shift bowl." I looked at my neighbors Olds and his doesn't have one either. Can anyone help?? Thanks Gene

Reply to
Gene

Keep digging and looking and u should find it. Maybe clipped onto the top? when u were looking bottom, or vice versa--iirc, it's always on the top-right-bottom 3/4 of the diam. as you look from the driver's seated position. Probably will have a 'fishing cord-sized' wire/cable with a loop, leading from the clip to the gear indicator. You will need to remove some of the trim panel to see/access it to adjust. When u have removed enough trim that both sides of the steer. column are clear all the way to the floor, you'll see it. Ensure u are looking far enough down the column. It does NOT clip to a part of the column that moves up and down as you tilt the wheel--but to a part that only rotates as you turn the steer. wheel left/right. Good luck. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Thanks to sdlomi2 for the info. Will I need to disable the SIR (air bag) when removing some of the trim panel to see/access it to adjust? THANKS

Reply to
Gene

Sorry, Gene, to be so late--but grandkids were here, and..... I have never disabled them, but doing so might be a good idea. s

Reply to
sdlomi2