95 Buick Charging Problem....has me stumped big time!!!

Ok, my friend has a 95 Buick LeSabre with a 3.8 engine. He took the car to some real shady shade tree mechanics for them to drop a different engine in for him. These guys took the wiring harness off at the firewall when they pulled the engine out, thye scraped the engine and wiring harness at the local salvage yard before they got the other engine delivered. When the used engine was delivered they noticed it didnt have a wiring harness so they went and got a wiring harness for the car but it wasnt the correct one so they did alot of splicing to get the connections to hook up to the engine. The car would run but 2 problems:

1) Fans wouldnt come on so someone ran a jumper wire to a power source

2) Car was not charging.

He took it to a shop and the guy was stumped, now at this point I am not sure if someone from there ran a power lead from the 12 volt power inside the car to the alternator or what. It was spliced in the line. Supposedly it was charging the system, but all I could tell was a major draw on the system and my gauge and volt meter said 0 at the battery and my volt meter said 0 at the terminal on the back of the alt that goes to the positive on the battery.

He brought the car out to me work on and I disconnected the wire that was from the PCM. This alternator has 2 wires, one that goes into the wiring harness and one that goes from the positive battery to the terminal on the back. I replaced the battery, had the alternator tested and it checked good but I put in a different alt to be sure. Still nothing, it was at 0 volts. At this time I got the correct harness for it and put it on, the brought the voltage up to 12 volts while running, but the lights were flashing like a police car and the warning lights on the dash were flashing. I put in a new alternator and that got the lights to stop flashing and the dash lights arent flashing on and off and the volt light isnt coming on anymore. Volt readings at the battery are 12.0 while running and 12.0 at the alternator. When I turn the car off the volts jump up to 12.5 -12.6 and when I turn on the lights the voltage drops to 12.0.

I have tried several different PCM's and they all offer the same voltage readings as well. Something else that is weird is that I cant get the OBD II diagnostic port to work. When I plug my scanner in, it has power there, but it brings up a Link error code check connection.

This past week I have checked the battery and put a load on it, it tested good. I took the alt off and had it checked at 2 different Autozones, I have checked the battery connections and wiring. I have checked fuses and relays as well. Checked the belt and it looks almost brand new. One thing I did notice this week is that his AC compresser unit is bad and the pully while running makes a major noise and watching the pulley it vibrates and shakes for 3 seconds and then goes normal. Could this be enough of a drag to cause the alt to not fully charge at the 13.5 volts it needs? When it does this vibration, the volts stay steady and doesnt drop.

Also the cooling fans are still not working, could a cooling sensor cause a drop in voltage? Also is this the sensor that is located under the throttlebody that you need to take everything on the drivers side off to get at? I also noticed that the car doesnt shift like it should and he said it always shifted good when it was running before, thats why I am wondering if its somewhere in the PCM, but Ive had 4 different PCMS on the car.

Any help, ideas , thoughts , prayers, blessings, or suggestions would be greatly appricated.

Reply to
Iceman4757

Shep

Reply to