95 Dodge Intrepid -- water pump repair, do I need to change the timing belt too?

The water pump on my intrepid with 150K miles just failed last weekend. Since it was a Satureday, I had it towed to a Monro Speedy shop instead of my usual mechanic. The shop replaced my water pump BUT they did not change my timing belt. I am puzzled as I thought the recommendation is to have both replaced.

Is there something different about the Intrepid that the timing belt does not need changed?

Reply to
bubba

Shep

You don't say which engine you have. The 3.3 is chain-timed, and obviously never needs a belt.

The 3.5 is belt-timed, and the belt should be replaced along with the water pump. 3.5s are VERY gentle on timing belts compared to some overhead-cammers and typical 100,000+ mile belts still look nearly new, but 150k is still too far to run a belt IMO.

Reply to
Steve