95 Escort w/ 1.9L

Just swapped the engine in the 95 Escort after 145,000. The old engine developed a bad knock (all at once). #4 Cylinder compression was 0. After almost 150,000 miles I thought that I'd drop a remanufactered engine in and run her another 150,000-200,000 miles. Everything in the engine swap went great. Until I fired her up. She purrs like a kitten. But she's weaping oil from the rear of the engine (between the transmission plate and the block). If I drive it for about 5 miles it will leave about 3 tablespoons of oil after I park the car. The only thing I can think is that it's seeping through/down the threads of the flywheel bolts. I used teflon tape on the flywheel bolts but did not use locktite/threadlocker. I've retorqued the oil pan and everything seems good there.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
G Butler

Sounds more like a rear main seal.

G Butler wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

The engine swap was a long block that included a new rear main seal (installed by the engine remanufacturer) the seal looked good when I installed the flywheel and clutch assembly.

Reply to
G Butler

Looked good?

Your Mark 1 eyeball is calibrated to measure the ability for a seal to hold pressure? Impressive, I'd say..

-bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Obviously my eyeball was off (if the seal is actually wher the leak is occurring). What I was implying is that the remanufacturer correctly did there job on the long block. I purchased the engine from Advance Auto pulled it out of the crate, and bolted the intake, exhaust, etc. on to it. The engine had never been fired and the rear seal was new. The first place I was looking for errors was in my work. The teflon tape that I used on the threads (per the chiltons manual) may not have correctly sealed the threads bolting the flywheel to the rear of the crank. Either way, I'm going to have to pull the engine to fix the problem.

Reply to
G Butler