95 Integra Won't Spark-Factory Alarm Maybe?

I had my 95 Acura Integra in storage for about 3 months. In that time the battery went south & I changed it to a new one, which it needed anyway (6 years old). Now I cannot start the car. I get no spark. It turns over fine, all lights/radio, etc work as they should but NO spark. It has a factory alarm mounted under the drivers seat. I do have the fob and deactivated it via the button. No problems but still no spark. Any ideas on this one? Thanks for any input you can provide! Doc

Reply to
Septo

Septo wrote in news:969d9595-b35b-4cb9-8e83- snipped-for-privacy@w3g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to "II".

Does the Check Engine light come ON for two seconds, then turn OFF again? Does it stay OFF while cranking?

How did you determine that there's no spark?

Reply to
Tegger

Work your way from the plugs back. Is there voltage at the coil when you try to crank? Is there voltage at the input to the ECU? Is there anything across the crankshaft position sensor when you try to crank? Is the ECU pitching any errors?

I am inclined to worry about the alarm system, but the DMM will tell you for sure.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Hello Tegger, well, you've helped me out in the past and I hope we can get this one solved, too! OK to answer your questions:

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to "II". ~Done~

Does the Check Engine light come ON for two seconds, then turn OFF again? ~Yes, it comes on few a second or 2, then turns off~

Does it stay OFF while cranking? ~Yes, it stays off while cranking~

FWIW, I can smell fresh gas while cranking, so it is probably getting gas.

I determined that there was no spark by pulling a plug and having a helper crank it while I was watching for spark. I also used an inline spark testing tool I've used for my lawn tractor-same result. I'm really worried that it might be alarm related. Here is a pic of it- would simply unplugging the connectors from the rear of it disable it?

Scott, as far as your questions are concerned, I'll have to get my DMM back from a friend. Doc

Reply to
Septo

Septo wrote in news:75628907-398e-4df4-b389- snipped-for-privacy@l14g2000yqo.googlegroups.com:

The fob still needs to be able to send a signal to the security system in order for the system to "see" you and allow the engine to start. Have you tried replacing the battery in the fob?

Or... you may need to reprogram the securty system to "see" the fob again on account of the dead car-battery.

1) Turn the ignition switch on, then immediately press and hold the valet/disarm switch (lower-left side of dash) to enter programming-mode. Continue to hold the switch throughout this procedure! 2) When the LED on top of the steering column begins to flash, press and release the "silent" button or the "chirp" button on the transmitter. 3) Release the valet/disarm switch to exit programming-mode. .
Reply to
Tegger

Thank you Tegger-it's dark out now, but I'm going to try this 1st thing tomorrow~I'll make sure I post you my results. Wish me luck! Doc

Reply to
Septo