95 Mercury Cougar - EGR Bad?

95 Cougar, 4.6 V8, 120,000 miles

My check engine light came on after the car had just been sitting for a couple of weeks. I got Auto Zone to read the code, which turned out to be something about the EGR valve. Does this actually mean the valve itself is bad, or just that a sensor SAYS it is bad? How would I diagnose / repair this - it is making the car run kinda rough.

I have located the EGR, it is conveniently located behind the intake crammed into a tiny space against the firewall. I am really hoping I don't have to remove it : )

Thanks, Libby

Reply to
Libby Chantel

'Something about the EGR valve' is not good enough to help you. Get the exact code.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

What Happy said... if this stuff was as simple as some think, I'd be on welfare. FWIW, there are only about a dozen codes that deal with "something about the EGR" for that model year.

Reply to
Jim Warman

The best way to get to that area is to remove the windshield wipers, wiper motor, and the plastic tray they sit in. Gives you just enough clearance to work in that area.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Congrats on recognizing the difference.. you are right, it MAY be a sensor problem

You may not have to remove it... but you ARE going to have to go back and have the codes read out again. and bring us the actual code

Perhaps a different autozone if that would bother you.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I'm sure that's what the AZ person told you, correct? Sure they only run about $60 to $80 retail. Then the light stays on and now it's probably the solenoid, no biggie, just fork over another ~$49. And so on... it's no wonder AZ does this for free.

In your circumstances, short of using a dealership or indy mechanic, the only way to find out for sure the problem is to get the exact codes, google them or post them here. It could be a number of different issues with the EGR system on your vehicle, a bad solenoid, cruddy pintle, vacuum line, backpressure sensor or transducer... take your pick if you dare, otherwise post the exact code and we'll do our best to debate the cause.

Sleepdog

Reply to
sleepdog