95 olds ninety eight dies/ starts right back up year old problem no one can fix

we have a '95 olds ninety eight loaded to the hilt, you will be driving along and the engine quits, when it does this at the same time it puts our in the information panel on the dash Engine Hot A/C disabled

the car will start right back up the car is not over heating or losing even the slightest bit of coolant the temp gauge never shows hot

it sometimes will not happen for a few days, sometimes it happens after 10 minutes sometimes you might be driving the car for hours and hours (I recently made a trip to and from Florida and it only happened a few times (some 1200 miles rt)

it is at a shop again 4 different places so far,

what could be causing this?

thanks!

Tom

Reply to
me

If there is a temperature sender for the engine computer, separate from the one for the gauge, that is the first place I would look. Also check the wiring between that sender and the computer, if it has any cut/abraded insulation a momentary short to ground could cause a momentary high engine temp. indication.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Check the battery cables and grounds real well. I believe you have two positive cables at the battery on that car. Corrosion can build up between the two and cause some really weird things to happen. Grounds can also get funky and cause weird things. I would check the negative cable at both ends, body ground at the battery, body to engine ground and the ground wires for the computer.

I had a bit older Olds that used to do a similar thing. Heading down the road and it would go wonky and die. Ended up being the positive cable thing...

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.