95 taurus 3.0 dies when shifting into reverse

Just had A4XN rebuilt about 2 weeks ago. Drove about 300 mi. yesterday. Ran great with no trouble. Last couple of days noticed engine running rough when I shifted into reverse. Same today, but it died right after left my house when I stopped at first intersection. Wouldn't restart for a while. When I tried to back up to the driveway, it died when reverse was selected. Went around the block, and it died twice while moving forward. When I parked back in driveway it died "every time" immediatley when I shifted into reverse (but will restart right away). Doesn't seem to have a problem in other gears while parked. Revs up ok. Doesn't die if I put a load on it with break on. Afraid that if I drive it, car will die again. Another post mentioned a TCC, but it doesn't seem to fit this situation. Any ideas as to the connection to the transmission if there is any.

Reply to
bustedknuckkles

I heard it could be the O2 sensor. Or a torque converter solenoid. Does the engine light come on?

Reply to
Alan