95 Trooper - won't idle on 1st warm start

95 Isuzu Trooper with the 3.2 L DOHC V6. Cold starts are fine, it starts, revs up to about 1500 RPM, then drops back to a nice steady idle at about 800-900 RPM. But once it warms up, it won't drop back to idle on the first try after it starts, it drops to zero and dies. On the second try it'll drop back to a normal 600-700 RPM idle. If I catch it right with the gas pedal, I can keep it running on the first try and after a few seconds I can let it drop back to a normal idle.

I've cleaned the throttle body, looked at the TPS (are there some easy voltmeter tests for that?), but not knowing what's involved in the idle circuit didn't go any further.

I'm hoping it's something simple and obvious - the Idle Air Control? is there an idle solenoid? I'm the type that tries all the simple stuff myself, rather than take it to a shop and have them charge their minimum $100.

Thanks in advance KCinMN

Reply to
Keith Cavis