96 Chev PU - dead!

I wuz driving my husband's 96 chev pu v6 (132,000 miles) to work this morning and it suddenly stopped running. The electrical, lights, etc were still working but the engine stopped firing. When I tried to crank it, it sounded "different" - no extra sounds, it just sounded kind of weak. It never fired again. What should I check first? My husband thinks it sounds like the timing chain broke. How would you determine if this was the case? If the fuel pump had failed, would the motor just go dead and never start again? How would you test for that? My husband says he doesn't think you can prime a fuel injected vehicle... to test for bad fuel pump. He also says I have to fix it because I broke it, so any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Thanks, Libby

Reply to
Libby

Sounds like your husband may be right. To check if the timing chain is broke you can take the cap off the distributor and unplug any electrical connections to the distributor to disable the ignition system. If the rotor doesn't move while cranking the engine it's likely the chain is broke.

To check the fuel pump you can take off the gas cap and have someone turn the key on. You should hear a buzzing sound from the gas tank, the fuel pump should turn on for about 2 seconds with the ignition on to prime the line. The sound should be quite noticeable with the cap off.

Last thing I can think of is that it may not be getting spark. You can buy a cheap spark tester from an auto parts store (safer than hold the plug wire near ground yourself). If no spark or weak spark (I know that's subjective), could be bad coil or ignition module.

Good luck. John

Reply to
John W.

Broken timing belt/chain will also result in faster turn-over of engine due to inability to pressurize the cylinders.

John W. wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

I have always noticed that when you turn the key on you can hear the fuel pump run for about 5 seconds. It no longer makes any noise since the truck quit. Does the fuel pump have a fuse that could blow, or should I assume the pump is bad? If it (fuel pump) isn't running, there would be no point in checking the fuel pressure would there - I assume there would be no pressure? What would be a definitive way to prove that the pump is bad, besides swapping it out? Husband says used to be swapping FP was a 15 minute job, now with fuel injection it is maybe 6 hours. If FP is bad, is there a procedure for replacement posted on the 'net somewhere that I could use? Thanks for all your help guys. Libby

Reply to
Libby

If you turn the key to on without cranking the engine, you should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds. If not, something is wrong. This setup appears to have an oil pressure switch that can activate the fuel pump as well as the relay, so a bad fuel pump relay should not prevent the engine from starting, it would just take longer to crank.

Check the fuse for the fuel pump - I believe it will be the ECM B fuse in the underhood fuse/relay center. If that's intact, most likely the fuel pump has died, though it might also be a wiring problem somewhere.

Changing the fuel pump will require removing the fuel tank - not a 15-minute job, but should not be 6 hours either..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

I checked the fuses, fuel pump relay, etc., eventually tracing back to the fuel pump. It had voltage but wasn't running. So hubby and I changed it out, and that fixed the problem. But I was suprised that the pump went totally dead as electric motors generally don't just suddenly stop working. I put in a Carter FP (Federal-Mogul, made in the USA - yea!). After we were done a friend told me they don't last, that I should have gotten an AC/Delco. I sure hope my friend is wrong as that was definitely not a fun project. Libby

Reply to
Libby