96 Chevy 4.3L water leaking from timing chain cover

96 Chevy 4.3L V6 water leaking from timing chain cover at front of engine. 180,000 miles on engine.

It is trickling from the sides of the cover. There is no water in the oil, and the water pump leak hole is dry. Would this be an intake manifold gasket leaking? I don't see how water would get into the timing chain cover otherwise. Maybe someone that knows this engine could advise me on the probable cause and solution.

Thanks for your help! Libby

Reply to
LibbyChantel

Libby-you'll have to put pressure on the system(with proper tester that can be purchased or possibly loaned to you by an Auto Zone or the like-7-10 lbs pressure) then look very closely for the leak. You didn't mention how much is leaking but it should show and when found report back what you find and you get a course of action. Merry Christmas! JP

Reply to
blazerman

Good idea, borrowing from AZ. I'd think however, that you may have to apply a little more pressure, tho', kinda in the range of 16 lbs plus a tad more should it not immediately show up. sdlomi2

Reply to
sdlomi2

sdlomi2-I usually hate atleast, initially, to apply more pressure just in case at 180k, you have a margional heater core or the like. If the leak could be found with 7-10 lbs pressure(a big if) then it may spare the op some grief. I realize the argument could be made that if the heater core is on it's way out then do it also but most of my customers would rather do it later than now(if at all!)-if they can! Merry Christmas ps that's just my 2 cents worth and for Christmas it's FREE!

Reply to
blazerman

Hey, thanks. I'm never too proud to accept advice--esp. when it's free. And, now I know your reasoning, which was with good background. My original thinking was to approximate its pressure while operating, and my memory came up with(another big IF) that being around 16. That "tad" over 16 may well have been ill-advice on my part. Hope OP did not jump out and apply 20, thinking 4 was a "tad"! Thanks for the heads up! And, Merry Christmas to you, and yours, too!;) s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Hmmm. "The water pump leak hole is dry" -- just like on my Geo Metro. Surprise, there was a *second* leak hole on the bottom of the water pump where I could not see it, dripping away. I had spent a few weeks wondering what the hell engine gasket or freeze plug might have cracked. Nope -- it was just the water pump. It may be the same in your Chevy.

There was one more thing I did not see at first. My pump has a flange that extends a ways underneath the timing belt cover. It's less likely than the shaft seal on the pump, but there is some room here for a leaking gasket or bolt hole that could result in your leak location. Caution, I do not know your engine and it could be completely different. HTH.

--Dave

Reply to
Dave Allured