96 chevy lumina transmission problem

I recently brought my car into a mechanic to fix a problem with the steering, thye ended up replacing my power steering pump. The day I picked it up it had trouble switching gears and the check engine light came on. The next day it wouldn't go above 20 mph or reverse. The check engine light did go off before I brought it back to them however, so I wasn't able to identify the trouble code.

I brought it back to them and they told me the transmission went. Is it normal for a transmission to go that quickly without any warning signs prior? Should the mechanic have noticed something when diagnosising my car's problem when I originally brought it to them?

It does have roughly 180,000 miles but it has been very well maintained and most of the parts are new. I know its a lot of miles for a car, but the day I picked it up the transmission starts to have problems? I think its a little strange. If you also think its strange or somethings not right, do you have any tips on what I should ask them. I don't know too much about cars and they are a mechanic, I feel like they would just deny that they did anything wrong.

Also note: it was driven in a snow storm and thats when the power steering pump had a problem, but the transmission was fine for about a week and then the car was brought in, it wasnt until i picked the car up that the transmission started having problems

Reply to
Amanda

You really, really need to get a second opinion. It could be something as simple as a hose off or an electrical plug not plugged in. On the other hand, your trans could be toast. Don't let yourself get taken.

Reply to
« Paul »

No no no no no, things like that just don't 'happen' normally.

You need to find a new place that will plug back in whatever plug the last place pulled or fix whatever wire or tube they cut...

You really should get another opinion, it is just too fishy.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I recently brought my car into a mechanic to fix a problem with the
Reply to
Mike Romain

If you have no reverse this is an internal problem in the trans, period.

Reply to
maxwedge

like he said it's fishy as hell..my son had 1 he tore tranny up but he was racing alot and got stuck in snow and then it went out...but like i said he tore it up himself....

Reply to
Scrapper

Blew out reverse rocking the car in the snow.

Reply to
maxwedge

That was probably best for somebody with so little finesse behind the wheel.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I agree with the others on here. Usually a transmission gives you a bit more warning that this (but not always).

You need a second opinion from a quality shop....not a transmission franchise. (Some transmission franchise shops are deadly crooked!)

If you have 180,000 miles on a tranny, you are probably nearing the end of its life in any case. But get another evaluation...

What did shop number 1 charge you to replace the power steering pump, by the way?? New or rebuilt??

Reply to
<HLS

While it is possible that something didn't get connected properly when they worked on it (I would take it to a different shop and have them at least look at it and throw a scanner on it and see what codes are there) It is also very possible that it failed without warning. The GM 4L60E is very well known for failing without warning. You end up with a vehicle that has no reverse and no second gear or overdrive. The transaxle (4T60E) in your Lumina also has a reputation for the same style failure.

Reply to
Steve W.