96 Cougar Cutting Out

Hi people. You have helped me a lot in the past and I really appreciate it. Maybe I could get some thoughts on the following: I have a 96 Mercury Cougar with a V8 (I think it is 4.6 litre but not sure) and automatic transmission. It has 95,000 miles on it and is a wonderful car. Mostly it runs ok, but when declerating then beginning to acclerate again, it sort of barely "stumbles" once or twice as it begins to speed up. It is like a momentary deadness or complete loss of power. If you floor it, it smooths out and acclerates rapidly. Could this be fuel filter, fuel pump, maybe even transmission? I have been running chevron fuel injector cleaner thru it about once every 5

- 10,000 miles, but have not changed out those parts.

Thanks, Libby

Reply to
Libby

Sounds like a bad Mass Airflow sensor or a bad Throttle Position Sensor.

Are any codes stored?

Have all of the tune up items been checked (air filter, fuel filter, fuel pressure, spark plugs)?

Yes, yes, yes

You have to do some testing to find out what the problem is.

Reply to
saeengineer

How do I check for stored codes, and can those sensors be checked with simple devices like ohmmeter? If so, is there a resource somewhere to tell me how to test them? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Libby

To check for codes, you need a generic (or factory) scan tool or a pc with the proper interface hardware and software.

The best resource for diagnostic information is the factory service manual.

With the scan tool, manual, and a DVOM, most diagnostic can be completed fairly easily.

Reply to
saeengineer

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Libby, I have much the same problem as you on a 95 V6 Cougar with 93K. Would you mind posting anything you discover to the NG? I am going to look into what tune up / scheduled service I am due for and see if that helps. I'll also peruse any Cougar websites I can find and post results.

Dave

Reply to
Dave C.