96 GM C1500 truck air filter never gets dirty

I have over 100K miles on this truck and have never had to change the air filter. There's some kind of fitting that is electronically controlled in the path from the filter to the engine but I cannot find it in the factory manual.

All ideas are welcome. I googled this problem with no success.

Thanks!

Regards....John

Reply to
ihss

It's a really big filter, what's the problem with that?

I have similar GM trucks that I service with over 150K miles on the original air filter.

That would be the Mass Air Flow sensor. It is not electronically controlled, it is an input sensor to the PCM.

Learn about how MAF systems work and you'll understand why the air filter is only responsible for assuring that no dirt is ingested into the motor and has little to do with fuel economy and/or performance.

What problem?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

________________ Perhaps he thinks the air filter is installed incorrectly so as not to collect dirt or that the dirt & debris is going someplace else.

My wife's (former) 1995 Hyundai Elantra the most heat we got out of that thing was a luke warm trickle. The air volume from the vents was more than adequate, it just didn't get really hot. My suspicion at the time? A backwards thermostat in the coolant path. Never got around to checking it - Wife got a Corolla after owning this Hyundai

2nd hand for nearly 5 years.

Goes to show you never can tell . . .

-CC

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

How would you know if the filter is prejudiced or not? Visual exam doesnt mean a damn.

Reply to
HLS