96 Windstar O2 Sensors?

My 1996 windstar has 202,000 miles.3.8L It runs fine untill it gets to temperature.Then it will sputter and shake and act like it does not want to go when given gas. I just replaced all the plugs, (original) plug wires, and EGR valve hoping this would solve the problem. It didn't. Fluids are good. The check engine light came on while driving to work today after the parts replacement and it started sputtering again. A co-worker suggested it might be the O2 sensor(s). Could that be? If so, are they all the same and is there a special way to replace these or are they just remove and replace? Can the carbon be cleaned off the sensors and put back in? Any more information would be appreciated. TIA CJnick16

Reply to
cjnick16

Mike Walsh

Take your vehicle to autozone and have them read the codes out of the ECM.

An O2 sensor helps the ECM fine-tune the fuel/air mixture when the engine reaches operating temperature, or before if the sensors on your vehicle are the 4-wire type. The best bet is to get the codes rather than continue to throw parts at the problem.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Hal wrote in news:1182232670.971322.129960 @q19g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

The ECM will go into closed loop as soon as the ECM receives a valid signal from the O2 sensor. This can be in as little as one minute of running even for unheated sensors.

When the engine is below operating temp but in closed loop, the ECM commands a rich ("warmup strategy") mixture.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks all for the info. I took it to Auto Zone and code said misfire in banks 3 & 5. (I am positive my plugs and wires are correct and secure.) Told the guy the symptoms of when it's cold it is OK, and at temperature it acts up.. He said it was a "classic" sign of a bad coil pack. He said he could test it if I removed it and brought it in. Anyone think he has a point? I'll try it and see what happens and keep you posted. Thanks, cjnick

Reply to
cjnick16