97 Blazer won't start

97 Blazer, 4.3L, 6cyl, 2WD with 150K miles. Had to replace the fuel-pump this weekend. I was successful with that but the blasted car still won't start. I have spraying starting-fluid into the throttle-body and even poured a bit of gas--no go. It will sometimes "catch" once but it's like it doesn't have enough oomph to make through the next revolution (if that makes sense).

I'm now wondering if maybe I have developed a timing issue (jumped time?) as the car was sputtering and starving for gas before it died. Went looking for a timing mark but can only see a notch on the drive-pulley, nothing on the crankcase to indicate TDC.

Anybody have any ideas, thoughts suggestions (other than sell car....)???

Bill

Reply to
Bill W.

Why did you think it was the fuel pump? Check the fuel pressure, could be a blockage or something. Check the fuel filter too. If it sputtered before it died it sounds like fuel deliver problem. Why would timing suddenly jump that far off unless you were mucking with the distributer?

Reply to
anon2u

Timing very very rarely jumps unless some catastrophic event occurs. If you have fuel, all you need is spark. I'd bet that you have an ignition issue that prevents a decent spark. Cold engines need a hot spark to ignite poorly vaporized fuel mix.

Reply to
Bikefixr

Got spark...however, I notice that the cylinder order in the Chilton book I got shows (driver's side) 3-1-5 (pass)2-4-6

HOWEVER, the plug wires from the cap indicate 1-3-5...In other words, the middle-wire (marked #1) is going to the front cyl (showing as #3 in the chilton).

I have never changed wires in this car...Question is: Which is wrong? Chilton or whoever may have changed the plug wires before me...if they ever were changed? Up until now, the car has run....

Bill

Reply to
Bill W.