97 breeze

It has a Chrysler trans?

Have you checked the fluid level? And ONLY use what it says on the dipstick! If you use anything else, you're only going to cause more problems.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

my 97 plymouth breeze wont go in2 reverse anymore but all the rest of the gears work fine(stickshift) what could the prob b?

Reply to
shugeiver

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e86.GTS:

he said he had a stick shift. KB

Reply to
Kevin

Can you work the levers right at the transmission? That would pin it down to linkage problem. If you cannot move levers at transmission, it is an internal problem.

I worked at gas stations in the mid fifties. Chevys were notorious in that period for jamming linkage. Folks would come in, and it took less than a minute to unjam the linkage. We didn't charge, and folks were very grateful. They were afraid the problem was internal transmission thing that would cost big bucks.

I had a similar problem with a Plymouth Valiant in the late sixties. Based on experience with those Chevies I was able to always fix it pretty quick, but it happened more frequently on those Valiants. Finally Chrysler put out a fix with a revised rod end fitting that eliminated the problem.

Based on my experience I would thoroughly check linkage first.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Ah, yes. So Solly. So used to Chrysler trans probalems I automatically think AT...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Don Stauffer wrote in news:4a65c85f$0$48222 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

the breese uses a internal rail shifter, no external test unless you take the shifter housning out. KB

Reply to
Kevin

Visual inspection is normally a good recommendation. Maybe, as Kevin says, it wont work in this case.

Reply to
hls

I have seen manual 5 speeds with this problem. While not this same tranny, it was a problem internally. The synchro sleeve teeth were damaged to the point the sleeve would no longer slide onto the gear. This was caused by not fully engaging the detent and when load got applied it would jump out of mesh with the teeth on the gear and burr over the shift sleeve. The only repair in this case is to re&re and overhaul or stuff in a known good used one.

chris

Reply to
golden oldie

Does it grind when you try to go into reverse? Will it go into reverse gear with the engine off? It might be a clutch issue(i.e. not fully releasing...)

Chris

Reply to
Hal