97 Dodge Stratus rough idle...help needed!

I have a 97 Stratus. When at a stop sign or red light it idles rough. If you put the transmission in neutral it smooths right out. If you leave it in drive...let it idle rough...it smooths right out when you step on the gas and take off.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
cwl

If you are complaining of a vibration you can feel, then it could possibly be worn, sagging engine mount(s) transmitting excess vibration through the chassis.

If it truly is a poor idling engine -only in drive- then you may have a problem with the park/drive input to the PCM or an ISC issue.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Check for vacuum leaks. Not just hoses, check everything that uses vacuum. I use a MityVac for this. Clean the IAC and throttle body. Clean the MAF sensor.

Reply to
scott21230