97 Ford Taurus

I own a 97 Taurus and have just discovered that the front right underside of the frame is rusted. Aside from this current problem the car is in very good shape with very low mileage. My question is it possible to weld the frame or replace a portion of it. Or is the car simply not able to be repaired.

Reply to
briand3

Surface rust or through rust? Where and what part of the 'frame' ? It's a unit body so I am not sure if you are refering to a torque box, a frame rail, or some sort of floor support.

If hasn't gotten so weak that the car has bent, yes, it's possible to have new metal welded in. If you don't care what the repair looks like it can be made structurally sound but ugly. Actually replacing the entire part so it looks like nothing every happened would cost more than the car unless it's a seat support or some other stiffer.

Reply to
Brent P

You can repair almost anything...Whether it is worthwhile on a car like a Taurus, or not, is the question.

Simple surface rust is not much of a problem. It can be repaired easily in most cases. If the rust goes through the structural members of the car, then the process can be more detailed and more expensive.

Get an estimate...NO, get two or three estimates before you make a decision.

Reply to
HLS

You have a unibody car. It has a subframe stub on the front. If the subframe is rotted beyond help, a junkyard unit is in order. If its the main unibody, you might be screwed. I have never seen a front subframe rotted beyond use without it being in an accident.

taurus had a problem for awhile with the subframe mounts rusting through. a new subframe washers and bolts (x4) will solve that problem.

bob

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Bob Urz