97 jeep cherrokee problem

was wondering if anyone reading this group may be able to help. I have a

97 jeep grand cherokee limited, 6 cyl. have an intermittent problem: engine stalls and sometimes can be very difficult to restart. can happen before reaching operating temp and even after reaching operating temp. the only error code says multiple misfires. [ as when tring to restart you can tell, very rough idle, definitely not firing all cylinders correctly] engine is firing correctly]. my mechanic has replaced the pick up coil in distributor, ignition coil and air idle speed valve. still having same problem. he thinks it is the pcm and wants to replace that next. he also mentioned that the wire harness, in back of the pcm was not in great condition. quite frankly, I hate when he guesses, already $400 into the fix already.is there someone who may have had/heard of this problem or is there a test to see if the pcm is in fact bad?
Reply to
don

On the Jeep 4.0 engine, the sensor plugs and sockets get corroded easily. They can usually be fixed by spraying them with an electronic contact cleaner that electronic stores sell. You can use WD40 in a pinch, but the real cleaner is best.

The primary one that causes stalls is the CPS's plug and socket. The CPS is located high on the drivers side of the bell housing. It has about a foot and a bit of cable then it's plug. I am not sure where the plug resides on the GC, but you can trace the wires from the bell housing corner. On some Cherokees the plug sits on top of the manifold, on others it is on the firewall. Some even have it over on the passenger side firewall I think.

The second most common one is the TPS, on the throttle body but when it gets a dirty connection, the rpm usually fluctuates as well as a cold stall.

I am in the rust belt and also see strange stalls due to the body's ground strap or cable being corroded and ground theft happening.

Mike

Mike Romain

If you are getting a bunch of black smoke after getting it restarted, next time try starting it after a stall by cranking the engine with the throttle wide-open.

Works as good on flooded fuel-injected engines every bit as good as it worked on carb. engines.

That won't fix the orig. problem, of course.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Mike- The CPS was replaced about a year ago, when pulled out it obviously wasn't gapped correctly as it was worn down by the flywheel. hadn't thought of this part again as, bad as the old one was, never a problem with it, only check engine light on to tip off a problem. no check engine lilght on this time. but is there any test for the PCM that you know of? haven't seen anything in the hayse repair book,, except that 98 and newer replacement PCM have to be programmed by the dealer. your thoughts?

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

Reply to
don