97 Nissan Pickup...screwed up changing the battery

Like an idiot, I hooked the damn thing up backwards. As soon as I connected the negative wire..smoke poured out of where the positive wire was hooked up. After switching the battery around correctly, the starter wont work. All of my electrical otherwise is working fine. I checked my fuses in the fuse panel next to the steering column and none are blown. I also glanced at the positive wire and nothing seems to be melted. Please no flaming, it was an honest mistake. I just want to know what kind of trouble I am in now. Thanks very much

Mike

97' Nissan Pickup 2.4L
Reply to
BadFish

Is there a fusible link between the starter solenoid & battery? Look for melted/charred wire. Or the solenoid itself created the smoke. Check for voltage on the solenoid contacts - voltage means the wiring is good, no volts means the wiring is not good.

Reply to
Bob M.

That usually means you have blown a fuse link wire. They are about 8" long and have a loop at the bolt where they hook up to the positive cable and a rubber tube crimp connector where they hook to the wiring harness.

You can buy the wire in bulk at the dealer usually and crimp a replacement in. They are usually color coded for size, but most are 14 ga. protecting the starter circuit.

Mike

Mike Romain

So you guys think my alternator is okay? I've been reading things about frying the diodes on the alternator and also the computer. Hopefully I wont have that much damage. Gosh what a dipshi t thing to do.... I bet I never do this again haha.

Reply to
BadFish

You probably melted a fusible link wire. An easy way to check is to pull on the various wires branching off from the battery. Fusible link wire is made with insulation that will not burn easily and may appear fine. If the wire stretches when you pull on it there is your problem. I doubt that you destroyed your alternator or anything else.

Now please relax about the backwards battery -- many have done it before you and many will do it after you! This includes automotive service professionals who suffer a momentary attack of absent-mindedness.

Don

Don

Haha, yeah you've got a point :) Ill check on the fusible link first thing tomorrow when I get some light outside. Thanks so much!

Reply to
BadFish

It's easy to do, especially on top terminals. Hopefully the fuselink saved everything else. You will find out.

Reply to
« Paul »

Mike,

Quit beating yourself up. I receive hundreds of questions per year from people who have connected jumper cables backwards and to a lesson extent the battery cables backwards.

Several others have already recommend that checking and replacing your fusible link. A couple of additional points. Often the heat will damage the insulation of the positive of the positive cable(s). Most electrical tape can not withstand the high underhood temperatures found with today's cars, so you might want to find a good substitute. The second point is that you might want to carefully test all the electronic devices that were on when the battery was reversed. Examples are emission computer, clock, memory presets, security alarms, etc.

Reply to
Bill Darden