'97 Prizm/Corolla sometimes will not start

I've had to park this car on a downhill slope because it will occasionally not start (about 50% of the time). No cranking, but the lights work fine. It's a stick and I can hear the clutch interlock switch "clicking." Once it starts, everything works great.

My hope is that it's something inexpensive that I can handle myself.

Any ideas?

Ambrose

Reply to
Ambrose

I would check battery, battery cables (the one from battery positive to starter, and from negative to body -usually engine block-), or starter itself, although I would tend to think that it's not starter given record of reliability Toyota products have (I drive 88 Chevy Nova, earlier cousin of Prizm). Battery can be checked easily - most autopart stores check battery for free.

Reply to
grunt100

One possible simple answer is floor mats. If your floor mat prevents you from depressing the clutch enough, then that's your problem. The clutch depressed starter interlock switch works from above not from below, so if you can't throw the clutch pedal far enough because a mat is in the way you'll not be able to start it.

If there isn't an obstructi>> I've had to park this car on a downhill slope because it will

Reply to
Bob Hetzel