98 Camry Flex exhaust pipe cracked/ loud exhuast noise

I have a problem when the engine gave off a loud noise when running. The sound seems to come from the engine, not under the car or muffler. The mechanic diagnosed it as a cracked flex pipe that runs to the exhaust. Apparently, in some cars, the engine literally lifts on its mounts when the gas pedal is pressed. This strains the connection to the flex pipe, which sometimes cracks/breaks. Now the exhaust escaping from here, gives off the loud noise.

Cost to replace the flex pipe piece $175. He also suggests that I replace the engine mounts to prevent it from lifting when given gas. Cost for this $275.

I will get the pipe replaced, but should I also replace the mounts? If I don't any idea how long the flex pipe will survive before it breaks again? Any info will help. Thanks

Mark Sabatini

Reply to
msabatini2001

I'd do it, if you plan to keep the car for any length of time. His explanation sounds very reasonable and plausible.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Figure with a bad mount that that little piece of tin pipe is holding your engine in place...

In my experience, that tin pipe doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of holding the engine in for long.

Mike

Mike Romain

Sounds likely.

That would be *all* cars.

Just an observation... I've never seen your bodystyle Camry break a front mount (this is a problem with 92-96 Camrys). Of course it

*could* be worn or relaxed. Anyway, the likelyhood that you would need all mounts is near zero. Maybe he meant the front mount and dogbone strut (those don't fail on 97-up Camrys either). At most I would suggest getting those two replaced, given that I cannot see the car personally. It is possible that the flex pipe just cracked from age and high mileage -- a new (OE) one would last the same time given no mount issues.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

:2cents: On my daughters 94 the pipe broke just below the cat converter under the hood. First shop wanted $2 grand to change the pipe and all motor mounts. Second shop wanted $800 to change just the pipe and one mount. Both refused to just weld the pipe. Third shop wanted $90 to weld the pipe back together. I went with the third shop. Oh and the first shop said just welding the pipe together without new mounts would last a couple weeks. That was 6 months ago and it's still holding just fine.

Reply to
RIP