98 Legacy misfires and lacks power

1998 Legacy L, 2.2L auto, 150K miles

Symptoms:

  1. When cold, almost doesn't move at all, like it wants to die. Press the gas pedal, it barely moves 2mph.

  1. When warms up, starts moving and even then lack of power and acceleration is obvious, really have to punch it to move.

  2. Terrible MPG, about 15 MPG.

  1. The exhaust smells like it's running rich, confirming the above.

  2. Above all, constantly get codes P301, P302, P303, P304 - misfire on all cylinders. CEL is flashing, meaning it's happening in real time.

What has been done:

Replaced: Spark plugs, plug wires (OEM), fuel filter, Coolant Temperature Sensor and the O2 sensor.

Checked the Fuel Pressure Regulator -- pulled the vacuum hose leading to it, no gas came out of it. Can I assume it's good?

Replaced the coil once, got a coil from a junk car, could this be the cause? I am going to try a new coil this time, maybe it will fix it. But the coil doesn't explain why it runs better when it warms up.

Reply to
SQ

clogged converter?

Reply to
m6onz5a

SQ wrote in news:24bd5b4e-f1f3-4e7e-9fdd- snipped-for-privacy@k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

The flashing MIL means the misfire is bad enough that catalytic converter damage is likely.

I've seen very similar symptoms in a Pontiac Sunfire. The cause there was an ignition control module that was going bad.

Reply to
Tegger

Did you look for vacuum leaks? That's the first thing I would have done, in spite of the ignition errors.

Coils don't fail much. It happens sometimes, but people swap coils out way more often than coils really fail.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I didn't see anything obvious disconnected. I need to check this again.

Reply to
SQ

That's not what I said. At least get a propane source or a can of WD-40 and do a basic test for vacuum leaks.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

A bad Mass Air Flow Sensor can also cause this IIRC.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Is there exhaust coming out of the tailpipe?

Reply to
golden oldie