98 Voyager Front Suspension Noise

I have a 98' Plymouth Voyager w/ 65,000 miles...just put on brand new tires (Good Year Regatta II). There is a thumping or knocking sound in the front end suspension when I go over bumps, I can hear it as well as feel it in the floorboard and steering wheel. Also a squeaking sound that sounds like the it might be coming from the front struts, or coil springs. Any ideas of what I might need replaced? ... strut rod bushings maybe?

Reply to
bebopxx

You got the bushing part right... just the wrong one.

Change the sway bar bushings.

This is a very very common problem on caravans/voyagers/town and countries.

tires (Good Year Regatta II). There is a thumping or knocking sound in the front end suspension when I go over bumps, I can hear it as well as feel it in the floorboard and steering wheel. Also a squeaking sound that sounds like the it might be coming from the front struts, or coil springs. Any ideas of what I might need replaced? ... strut rod bushings maybe?

Reply to
Clem

Is this the squeaking sound I am hearing as well? Sounds like either the shocks, struts, or coil springs

Reply to
bebopxx

To check if the bushing on sway bars is worn, try spraying it with foam sealant (the stuff you get at Home Depot, used for insulating cracks in walls). If the noise is reduced, you got your problem. This stuff will last a day or two at the most, before it wears off or falls off. But it ideal to isolate a rubber bushing problem.

PS. Make sure the area is clean of grease before you spray. I usually clean the area with a rag wet with dry gas.

Reply to
Rajsircar

I think the bushings are about $10 each. If you have any significant mileage on the vehicle you'll be surprised at what changing those bushings will help.

It will very likely eliminate the clunking 100%

You will feel a difference in how the van handles. It feels tighter with new bushings.

I like the foam trick. :^D