98 Windstar fuel filter & spark plugs

Besides taking the Windstar in for service how do I gain access to the rear bank of spark plugs? Its the 3.8 L transverse engine. I tried going under the vehicle but can't get my hands between the firewall and engine. Also there isn't enough room if I go in from the top side either. So how do I change the rear bank of plugs?

I want to replace the fuel filter and found it but I can't get the fuel line coupler off which faces toward the engine. So whats the secret of removing this fuel line coupling? I removed the retainer and tried pulling and it moved 1/4 inch and stopped. I also tried prying with a screwdriver but no luck. I don't have any problem removing the fuel line coupler which faces toward the vehicle rear.

Thanks, gary