99 Chrysler T&C wobble in front end

Hi everyone. I'm having trouble with my 99 Chrysler T&C 3.3L. I've replaced tires, wheel bearings, axle shafts but I still have a wobble on acceleration at any speed over 10mph. The wobble stops on deceleration from any speed. I'm finding answers telling me that the engine mounts are bad and I'm wondering if this is a shade tree job as well. Where would I support the engine while removing the mounts and how hard are they to replace and have you heard of this being a common problem.

Thanks in advance KM

Reply to
Joe6PackAmerican

I have not worked on that car, but I can believe that engine mounts could be the issue, and I would expect it would be a shadetree job. Try shaking the engine and looking at the motor mounts.... you should be able to tell pretty easily if one is broken.

There isn't a whole lot of support needed to change a single mount, but I have done it (on a Chrysler Laser) with pieces of 2X4 stacked up.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

It's easier if you have a helper looking at the engine while you sit in the car and, with the right foot hard on the brake, give a bit of gas. Alternate between D and R, and your helper should see the engine move about if a mount is bad.

Ulf

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Ulf

I agree, Scott... If the OP can find the mounts and get a clear view of them, he may be able to see if they are broken just by looking.. He would certainly get an idea of how hard it will be to get under there, lift the engine, and remove the mounts.

Reply to
HLS

Thanks for the replies everyone. The engine moves back and forth a good 2 to 3 inches while holding the brake and switching from drive to reverse. I've been told that there shouldn't be anymore than 1/2 to 1 inch of movement.

I'm leary of using the oil pan as the support for taking the weight off of the mount even using wood (which is some advice from another site) any reassurances or details of how to use the oil pan..

Reply to
KMullins

Reply to
man of machines

Reply to
man of machines

Thanks for the reply. The engine purrs like a kitten. No check engine lights and no knocking or hard starting. I'm going to be checking the mounts and replacing any that are bad on Saturday.

KM

Reply to
KMullins