99 Malibu Problem

I have a 99 malibu 3.1 L V6 engine that has a problem.The check engine light came on and we had the code pulled and it came back P0742.I was told it mostly meant the TCC was stuck on.Is that right? Also I was told that I could unhook the TCC Solenoid and still be able to drive my car without causing any damage to the transmission is this true? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
LadyRavenFan52

Without being at my shop to look up the code, I couldn't say exactly what the code definition or conditions are, but a P07xx code is a transmission code. Most newer electronic transmissions (like yours) don't have a plug-in just for the TCC (torque converter clutch) so "unhooking" is not a particularly viable option. You could unplug the transmission, remove the TCC signal wire, tape it off to prevent it from shorting out against the transmission, and plug in the connector again, but torque converter lockup is critical to maintaining transmission fluid flow to the cooler during overdrive operation (when you select OD, or just D on some transmissions, your selector may show P R N OD D 2 1 or P R N D 3 2 1) and without the TCC you could seriously damage your transmission.

Reply to
L1MasterTech

P0742 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Stuck On

Reply to
dahpater

Thank you for your replies.I went to the store in it today and it did ok and the check engine light went off but later on I got in it and it acted like it didnt want to shift it made a whining sound but once you get it to about 40or so it does great untill those red lights and stop signs make you stop then you slowly start back again and there comes that light on again.I guess I will try and find a good shop to take it to and brace for the bad news.But thanks again for your replies.

Reply to
LadyRavenFan52