99 Olds Intrigue 3.5L engine knock

Hey all, I have a 99 Olds Intrigue GLS with the 3.5L Shortstar engine. It has a definite knocking sound that occurs on startup, not too noticeable in the car with doors closed, but definately there often after warmup. It has not gotten any worse and oil consumption is about average for what I hear for this car. Sometimes needs more between changes and other times it does not need any additional. Crankshaft postion sensor already replaced. What could this be? Think it is a definite sign of impending engine failure or is it something that will just be a minor annoyance? Sounds like piston slap, which Ihave heard is really common on this car. I am hoping not as I am either stuck with it or will lose a fortune on the car. Car has 65,000 miles and runs well otherwise. thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

"Chris" wrote

You probably have excessive carbon buildup on the pistons. The Premium V engines don't really have any piston slap problems. But they do have problems with excessive carbon, which ends up causing the same type of noise. We perform a decarbonization procedure which is usually pretty effective, but it can be pricey if you have it done professionally.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai