99 vw jetta not starting

i have a 99 vw jetta. I just got it 5 months ago and the egine died so i got an new engine payed freakn 5,000 that i don't have. I am a 21 yrs old trying to go to college this car was suppose to help me but it has done the opposite. now after getting it back 4 days later and still paying insurance on it the freakin thing breaks down again. i think that it is the tranmission this time. I was just drive an all of sudden i stoped moving. it felt like i was on neurtal. Just to let u know it is it's an automatic, it doesn't work in any gear now . Help please ! u think the trans mission is busted and if so what should i do about gettting as much money out of this thing?

Reply to
sulansts

Several possibilities come to mind: (1) Check the transmission oil level. If it's very low, you won't go anywhere because the torque converter won't have any oil in it to transmit power. If the oil is smells burnt and is black, try to change it, although that's a sign of tranny damage usually.

(2) Is the shift lever moving the shift mechanism on the tranny? Check it moving the shifter causes anything to move under the hood - if the engine was replaced, the tranny probably was pulled and the mech may have connected something poorly.

(3) Are any warning lights on on the dash? If there are, pull trouble codes from the tranny electronics and see what it tells you.

(4) Jack up the front of the car and put it on jackstands. With the tranny in neutral, see if turning one front wheel causes the other to turn in the opposite direction. If it doesn't, you have stripped cv-joint splines or worse.

(5) After you fix it, sell the thing and get a 1993-1998 Jetta with a

5-speed and the 2.0L 4-cyl. Those things are indestructable; the later ones are weaker, unfortunately, due to excessive complexity. Either that or a Volvo 9-series, or Big American RWD Boat (Chevy Caprice, Crown Vic cop package)...

-Andrew

PS- Why was the engine replaced? Engines seldom fail in a way that needs complete replacement, esp in a car of that age.

Reply to
Andrew Szafran

How many miles on this car?

Has it ever been in an accident/is there rust/is it straight?

What part of the country do you live in?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt