A/C question .. 98 Jeep Cherokee

Our vents are blowing just air. So assuming it was the refrigerant, we went and bought a pressure gauge/refrigerant kit called cool air. Our compressor spins on and off about every 5 seconds or so. So we tested the pressure, with the car running and ac off, the pressure is about 65-70 ... When we turn the ac on, the pressure moves up slowly and just when it gets to about

55-60 the compressor spins and it immediately drops to 0 then when the compressor shuts off it starts climbing again. The kit not come with a fitting for the high side, Im hoping this information might shed some light on what the problem may be. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks, Nicki
Reply to
Nicki

Symptoms and pressures indicate low refrigerant level. Find and fix the leak, don't just keep adding refrigerant. Many kinds of leaks cause oil loss as well as refrigerant loss, and just refilling and refilling a leaking system is a great way to run it out of oil and cause expensive damage.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

Low on r134a. It's the low pressure switch telling the compressor that there isn't enough refrigerant in the system. Any AC system with any freon will show the same pressure when the car is off. If the gages show that you get to 0 PSI, its a good indication that the system is comprimized and you may have air in it.

Dave

Nicki wrote:

Reply to
Dave