a/c recharge-engine power loss

My friends car was blowing hot air, after adding 1 12oz. can of R-134a her compressor started cycling on and off, every time it came on the engine acted like it wanted to turn off. (the can of 134 did nothing to cool her air) Subsequently she told me that it continued to do the same thing every time she tried the a/c the car would hesitate and almost cut off if she was idling. to the Question: Can I safely assume that because I put in 1 can of 134, and it did nothing, that the compressor was working extra hard with the little it had and draining power from normal engine operations, and that I should add another can of 134 to bring it back to normal operating levels, or is it a totally different problem I'm facing?

Reply to
Alex

Approximately 9/10/03 12:38, Alex uttered for posterity:

Multiple errors, the first of which is yours for working on an A/C without knowing what you are doing...particularly an R134 type.

First take the A/C to a local airconditioning shop before you ruin the car and cause expensive repairs. Either that or get a factory manual for that A/C and set the r134 charge as it should be done... you'll need a set of guages and possibly a vacuum pump. The A/C shop can also check the clutch and cycle switch which are suspects. Then drain the freon and put in the correct charge the correct way.

If you managed to overfill the system enough to cause a load on the motor, you overfilled it enough that the pressure switch will hopefully shut the A/C system down before you blow your head off or ruin components.

There is also a chance the A/C is not stepping up the idle properly when it is on...

Reply to
Lon Stowell

You can probably assume the compressor is screwed and is dragging down the engine now that you have allowed it to re-engage.

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts