A DTC For a Non-Existent Component?

I have a 1995 Ford Ranger 4.0L. The PCM set a P0340, or Camshaft Positon Sensor Malfunction. My engine is not equipped with a Camshaft Position Sensor, and the vehicle runs fine with the code set. Any idea what the deal is?

Reply to
Steve

I have a 1995 Ford Ranger 4.0L. The PCM set a P0340, or Camshaft Positon Sensor Malfunction. My engine is not equipped with a Camshaft Position Sensor, and the vehicle runs fine with the code set. Any idea what the deal is?

Reply to
Steve

I have a 1995 Ford Ranger 4.0L. The PCM set a P0340, or Camshaft Positon Sensor Malfunction. My engine is not equipped with a Camshaft Position Sensor, and the vehicle runs fine with the code set. Any idea what the deal is?

Reply to
Steve

Are you sure? I believe it is on the top rear of the engine on the oil pump drive. Same place a distributor would be on an older engine. John

Reply to
John P.

Yeah. My engine number in the VIN is X (8th letter). I've researched it, and VIN X models do not have a CMP. Furthermore, I took off the upper intake manifold to see if it was on the back of the block, and I couldn't locate it.

Reply to
Steve

You went about the correct procedure to locate the CMP sensor, but you must have missed it. In the US atleast, the vin X 4.0 of that era has a distributor-style CMP assembly that is fixed to the intake with a holddown clamp. It is in the back as the other poster mentioned, hidden by the upper intake plenum. There is a three wire connector on the top.

There are very specific steps to installing one correctly, so read the Ford factory manual before replacing this part. The part rotates like a distributor, but unfortunately you can't time it with a timing light. You have to set it so that it is 'electrically in sync' with the crank position sensor (which you will approximate by using the marks on the harmonic balancer).

You may be able to buy the sensor portion of the assembly by itself, but there is a chance that the drive housing has a broken piece inside that will require complete assembly replacement.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

What about this link that says my engine doesn't have one?

Steve

My info shows it for 95 and I have seen them before on the vin X engine. You are the one looking at the engine. If you say it isn't there after looking (again) where I suggested, then I'm wrong -- or there is more to it, such as an odd model year break or wrong year engine in vehicle etc.

Until a more definitive answer shows up, all I can say is I'd have to see the vehicle to comment any further.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

So..... have you come to a conclusion yet? Please update us if you have.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Still not sure what's up.