A few questions about EXHAUST related symptoms...???

I just recently began driving a rather old and beat-up ice cream truck and lately I have been having some headaches. This truck, which is due for inspection in a few months and uses gasoline as fuel doesn't run too well.

Here are a few questions.....

Can you be adversely affected by fumes in a vehicle that has it's windows open and numerous holes throughout the body of the truck? I always keep the windows open and the truck is far from airtight.

Thanks

LT

Reply to
Leesa_Tay

=========== =========== . .

. yer welcome.....

~:~ marshmonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Thanks for the very informative link. That information is a little bit technical for me... but still interesting.

Doesn't the fact that I keep all the windows open and the fact that the vehicle has quite a few holes throughout the body help to minimize some of these exhaust effects?

Thank You

LT (I)

Reply to
Leesa_Tay

======== ========

I use to paint cars for a living.......

and.... having the door open and the fan blowing did'nt stop me from getting high as a kite if I didn't wear a mask.

any whoooo...... sell more ice cream.....fix yer exhaust....till then...hold yer breath or sell on the go.

~:~ marshmonster

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Fumes of unburned gasoline are hazardous to your health. Yes, they can adversely affect you. There are known cancer causing chemicals in gasoline which is a longer term risk. Suffocation, collapse, death are the shorter term risks.

Exhaust fumes carry similar risks. If you have exhaust leaks that enter the van, they could kill you. If your exhaust is intact and is not leaking and your catalytic converter is working properly, the fumes should not enter the vehicle to any great degree and some of the most dangerous components should have been deactivated.

It is nothing to fool around with.

Reply to
<HLS

Yes you can be affected.

It depends on the wind and your speed as to how much gets sucked into the cab. Having two side windows open can sometimes create a vacuum in the vehicle allowing fumes to be sucked in through floorboard holes. Having the fan on high can help, but....

Folks with Jeeps and soft tops have to really watch that. One friend was falling asleep all the time while driving. Turned out he was running with the soft top windows out, but the front door windows closed thinking with the whole back open, no fumes would come in. I drove with him and recognized the forehead pressure and sleepiness as carbon monoxide poisoning pretty fast. He didn't really believe me. He ended up passing out on a straight dry road and rolling his Jeep into the ditch. Luckily he wasn't hurt bad. He still doesn't know 'what happened'.....

Mike

Leesa snipped-for-privacy@softhome.net wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You are already having problems and you are asking us whether it's OK? NO. The headaches are your first sign. Every time you drive you are losing brain cells. Even Einstein would run out eventually. I'll have the double chocolate, please.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Car bun. Moan. Ox hide.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Thanks for all of the replies. Now .... I am just assuming that because this truck was old and beat up that somehow fumes have been getting into the truck and causing my symptoms however the last couple of days... I am feeling much better. The headaches have subsided and I certainly don't have any of the drowsiness that one person mentioned.

I guess I'll just have to have him get the truck checked out. BTW... are there any inexpensive CARBON MONO meters or alarms that could be put in to check on this?

Thanks again guys

LEESA (I)

Reply to
Leesa_Tay

You can just let it idle for a little while then make sure it is in park and block the wheels and climb under and do a visual on the exhaust system. Look for smoke and black streaks. Just because the truck is old doesn't mean much, it's how good the exhaust is that counts. Both of my old Jeeps, one with 315K on it, have all new brakes and exhaust. Also make sure the tail pipe exits out 'behind' the back wheel and out past the body shell. Some folks get cheap and stick the exhaust out in front of the rear wheel. This 'will' cause exhaust inside because the stuff vortexes in the wheel well.

Mike

Mike Romain