ABS brake in high speed turn?

If you are driving a tight turn at high speed (let's say almost starting to slide) and jam on the brakes causing the wheels to lock, the car would slide out, assuming non ABS brake.

If the brakes are ABS brakes, what would happen?

Reply to
james

First generation ABS brakes without modern vehicle stability systems are designed only for icy or slippery conditions.If you brake hard enough, you can activate the pulsations when the rubber from the tires begins to lose adhesion with the pavement.

Second generation ABS systems, with modern vehicle stability systems, would operate differently. Not only are they monitoring the slip and power on the powered wheels, we are also monitoring for yaw and pitch.

Now pick your motoring platform and you will see your results.

Reply to
Adam 1996 Cherokee Sport v6 Kb2jpd FDNY*EMSC

Likely you won't slow down very much, because the ABS will prevent the wheels from locking. I suspect that you still would slide slightly if you are truly on the edge of traction, although if the ABS is good, you won't lose control completely. In any case, I wouldn't recommend trying this!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Right.

Without ABS, the wheels lock.... you lose steering control and you lose the ability to stop, causing you to hit something.

With ABS, the wheels don't lock but no braking happens. So you keep steering control, but you still have no ability to stop, so you still hit something.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Your wheels wont lock up and you'll slow down without alot of drama. Anti lock... not anti stop. HTH, Ben

Reply to
ben91932

Not on ice. On ice, you don't slow down no matter what technology you have under the hood.

It's the ice that prevents the stopping. The ABS system just prevents lockup. This can be a good thing if it allows you to retain steering control, but on an icy curve, steering control usually just allows you to select what you are going to hit.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

DAGS for "friction circle." your tires have only so much friction to give, and if you're using 90% of it for cornering, that only leaves 10% for braking. (I'm oversimplifying, and it's not really a circle if you plot it on a chart, but the principle is more or less valid.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel