ABS Front wheel sensor

Hi

I have a problem.

My 92 Buick Roadmaster has ABS. The front wheel on the passanger side was diagnosed with a defective speed sensor. I read on the newsgroups that it most likely needs to be cleaned and that it isn't really defective. I have tried to remove it and have succeded in breaking the sensor. Now, I need to replace it. About $70, damn it.

My question is, How do I get the remains of the sensor out of the hole? I have removed the side screw. Hell, I have broken the sensor off almost even with the positioning hole.

One thought is to drill the remains of the sensor out of the positioning hole from the inside of the wheel well. But I am unsure if that may damage something of the other side of the hole.

Another is to remove the rotor and I may be able to get to the sensor to pound it out. Or maybe drill it out.

I have tried to remove the sensor with WD40 and other rust breakers to no effect. The remains of the sensor are still in the hole.

Any suggestions on how to get the remains of the sensor out?

Reply to
dan

I'm not sure how to get the sensor out, but if by some chance that doesn't fix your problem look at the abs sensor ring on the axle. If it's damaged it can cause problems as well.

Reply to
m6onz5a

The problem with drilling or any other destructive removal technique is that you could contaminate the bearings in the hub. That is NOT a good thing. That part of the sensor just sits in the hole. If it rusted in place then you are in for some fun. You MIGHT try this to remove the broken part. First use some nail polis or other thin paint and coat over the broken part and the hole. That will seal the hole and keep crud out. Then use a small drill and drill a hole partway in the center of the stub. Then use a sheet rock screw and see if you can get it to bite enough to pull the broken part.

Reply to
Steve W.

Just thought I would reply to the origional post:

The easiest way to remove the sensor was to remove the brake calipers then remove the rotor. I could then see the sensor. It took the use of a socket which I used to hammer the sensor out the housing. This actually took a lot of force. Sort of surprised me.

In doing so. I was able to visually inspect the brake pads, rotors, and wheel bearings. I then replaced the rotors, bearings, and pads. Best prioce was auto zone which has "loaded calipers", both sides for about $75. Best deal around.

I am still looking for a wheel speed sensor. Maybe some day I will replaceit. My antilock brakes are disabled so I do have an insentive to replace the sensor. The brakes are working better then they ever have after doing all the work. The vehicle now has 211k miles on it.

Thankes for the suggestions: These are my answers so far.

Dan

Reply to
dan