ABS Motor Run

I have a 2001 Sebring with a 2.7 engine with about 60k miles on it. A noise started the other day coming from under the car. I am a mechanic by trade in the airline industry. After describing the noise to some co-workers, it might be the ABS hyd motor starting up. It sounds like a motor running and you can feel a hum when it is running. It runs for a few seconds then shuts off. It will do it occasionally while I am driving and it also might do it while the car is stopped, even in park. This is my first car with ABS, so I am on the "learn as I go" with this system. Any thoughts to this symptom?? If it is an ABS motor, what would cause it to run and why? Thanks for any feedback Jon

Reply to
Jetson

I can't answer your question, but I have a chrysler product with the abs braking system, and it can present problems.

Some problems are taking care of under a special warranty clause, some aren't, you might check out your possibilities with a dealership.

Also you might use the search feature to bring up the recalls issued for your particular car / problems.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

I have no specific Chrysler advice but I have had, seen and fixed a few Chevy Pickups of the latest generation that have had a relay fail in the ABS controler, resulting in causing the ABS pump to run until the battery drains. The fix is either a new controller or sending the controler out to be repaied. I suppose one could trouble shoot the contoller board and do their own soldering work too.

I would get a manual, hopefully it has trouble shooting procedues, if not it sounds likely that you may have a wheel speed sensor input problem or a Vehicle speed sensor/wiring issue.

Sorry I have nothing but general advice for ya...

Reply to
anumber1

It's pretty common for an ABS pump to cycle periodically when the electronics determine that it's necessary. If it's every 10 minutes, then you probably have a problem. I used to have that happen with my '95 Integra about once a week or so. It's just bringing up the ABS pressure, and if the brake fluid level isn't dropping you have little to worry about.

Reply to
y_p_w

More general information here. If you have a habit of pumping the brake pedal it will cause the ABS accumulator to discharge. The pump will have to run to build the pressure back up. Try keeping your foot off the brake pedal except for when you are stopping. Might help.

On the other hand, it may not even be the ABS pump. Does you car have automatic load leveling or air shocks? Might be a motor involved if it does. Your car does have an Evaporative system pressure test pump located on the fuel tank. I have heard of customers complaining about the noise that pump can make when the computer system turns it on. It only operates under certain conditions which could seem erratic to you.

Reply to
Kevin

a good point you made Kevin, and should be helpful to all with the abs braking system who are not aware of it.

i.e. - when applying the brakes to slow / stop the vehicle, if you have the abs

braking system, you shouldn't _pump_ the brake pedal, but keep the necessary

steady pressure on it until the braking exercise is complete, so the owner's manual states.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

Reply to
Jetson

why don't you save all the verbiage, and btw - have you considered donating your body to science?

If they accept it, pls. do them a favor, and remove the lp victrola needle - first.:--)

Reply to
fiveiron