AC causes screeching

I have a 1994 Dodge Shadow, and whenever I turn on the AC, up to about five minutes after starting the car, I hear a disturbing screeching sound that lasts about 10 seconds, longer if the AC is turned up another notch. I've also noticed that it only screeches when I press down on the accelerator. Any ideas as to what's wrong and what I could do?

Chris Finke

Reply to
Christopher Finke

Check your belts. What you're describing says "Belt's loose" to me...

Reply to
Don Bruder

Right. Most belts are looser when they are cold. So, as the car warms up, the belt tension increases and stops slipping (screeching).

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Replace the A/C drive belt, and then properly maintain the tension on the new belt. The belt is glazed from being chronically under-tensioned. This happened a lot on that vintage of Dodge Shadow and Plymouth Sundance. The A/C belt is slightly undersized for the task, and once it starts slipping will glaze and screech.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Mike Walsh