AC Compressor Bad??

At the beginning of summer (about April-May), a can of freon would leak out in about a week. Did this twice. Third time, I put in 2 cans with the UV dye (took 2 cans for some reason). Dang thing ran all summer. Added a can last week and not cooling again. Used UV light bulb in the trouble light and the only place I see the dye is on the body of the compressor. This compressor looks kind of like the end caps are pressed over the body and the dye look as if it is oozing from under these "end caps" towards the body of the compressor. Also looks like the dye is on the motor under the compressor. I don't see any on the pulley or behind it (best I can look). Is this a common failure (body of compressor leaks) or did the dye just get there from a bad seal and blow back? How would you normally test a compressor for leaks?

This is a 1996 Chevy K1500 extended cab pickup with 5.7 liter motor and 150K miles.

Thanks for reading and any advice. Bobby

Reply to
bob

My guess would be that the front shaft seal has failed and you are seeing the end result from the dye being blown / washed back. In any case you are looking at a compressor replacement to fix the problem.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Steve is almost certain to be ¨RIGHT ON with his diagnosis. GM compressors are known to fail in this way. There may be other problems as well, and a properly outfitted AC mechanic can find any other leaks.

Reply to
hls

Lets see. You put the dye in and waited for it to fail before checking!!! You should have been checking shortly after putting the dye in and often thereafter. Waiting until it all blew out will find it anywhere....

Reply to
Woody