Actron CP9145 Code reader/Scanner

I have been using an Actron CP9145 scanner for several years on my own vehicles. None of these has been newer than 2001. Yesterday, I tried to read a 2005 Tacoma and could not establish communication. I then tried it on my new car (2007 Mazda6) and could not establish communication with that car, either. Does anyone know why this is? Have the communication protocols changed in recent years? Is my scanner obsolete or are we dealing with user error? Thanks. RNR

Reply to
RNR

I ran into the same thing recently (what a neet tool) so I dragged out the old OTC Pathfinder 4000E and had the same result, nobody home. In this case there is usually dirty power to the DLC and needs to be traced back. In these rare instances I have referred these customers to the dealer. You always retain these customers since the dealership usually comes out with some long, convoluted four-digit fix for this.

Let us know what you find.

Bush

Reply to
Bush

If you haven't already updated it;

Just a wild guess but I'll bet those two vehicles are CAN protocol.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Probably you need to install the CAN adapter board.

Steve W.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm not in the business, but I was aware of the CAN protocol but I didn't think it was impemented yet. I'll give this a try. Thanks again. RNR

Reply to
RNR