Actron CP9180 OBDll/CAN DTC scan tool

I just purchased an Actron CP9180 scan tool to replace my older CP9145. The main reason I went with the 9180 was its ability to print the stored data using a PC and the ability to "record and playback" the data in multiple frames. The 9145 could only display live data and could not print. I have noticed that there appear to be some "bugs" with the tool software/firmware though. Specifically it will not display the MAP or upstream O2 sensor on my 2004 Camry or the MAP on my 2001 F-150 super crew, the 9145 did display these. I have included these frames of data below. I have contacted Actron tech support and reported these specific problems and they said a tool update is currently being worked on and should be available in June. If you also own a CP9180 and have similar bugs or issues, or even suggestions on enhancements that you would like to see added to the tools function, that would make it more "robust" please feel free to post them here and I will either point the Actron tech's to this group, or I will send them the information myself. Bob

First vehicle is a 2004 Toyota Camry LE 2.4L 4Cyl.

Recorded Data

MIL STATUS OFF ABSLT TPS % 15.6 ENG SPEED RPM 664 CALC LOAD % 11.7 MAF FLOW g/Sec 1.90 COOLANT =8DF 194 IAT =8DF 147 IGN ADVANCE =8D 12.5 ST FTRM1 % 1.5 LT FTRM1 % 6.2 VEH SPEED MPH 0 FUEL SYS 1 CLSD FUEL SYS 2 N/A O2S12 V 0.800 OBD2 STAT CA

Frame 1 Time 3.5

Second vehicle is a Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2001 V-8

Recorded Data

MIL STATUS OFF ABSLT TPS % 20.3 ENG SPEED RPM 1027 CALC LOAD % 45.4 MAF FLOW g/Sec 14.15 COOLANT =8DF 80 IAT =8DF 73 IGN ADVANCE =8D 0.0 ST FTRM1 % 0.7 LT FTRM1 % -2.2 ST FTRM2 % 1.5 LT FTRM2 % -4.6 VEH SPEED MPH 0 FUEL SYS 1 CLSD FUEL SYS 2 N/A O2S11 V 0.735 ST FTRM11 % -2.2 O2S12 V 0.000 O2S21 V 0.180 ST FTRM21 % 3.1 O2S22 V 0.000 OBD2 STAT CA

Frame -5 Time -3.6

Reply to
Bob

I, too, just bought a CP9180. The software CD that came with it is not even compatible with it. It will not read the software ID code, nor will it allow me to enter the correct code. This means I cannot get software downloads from the Internet. And while there are several manuals on the CD, the 9180 isn't one of them.

Problems with the CD software does not prevent the use of the tool, but without being able to download updates, bugs as you described cannot be corrected.

This suggests the 9180 was rushed to market without updating the software and documentation necessary to support it. I will call Actron tech support tomorrow to hear what they have to say.

-Dennis

Reply to
new_hampster

I have the same tool. When I realized the software wasn't compatible I called them and they told me that the scantool wouldn't need upgrading for at least a year. They didn't know when a software upgrade would be avaiable. Isn't this a bunch of crap?

Reply to
Dennis

I talked with Actron tech support. It seems the issue is more a matter of poor documentation than incompatibility. I said in my post "it will not read the software ID code, nor will it allow me to enter the correct code." Apparently, it does not attempt to read the existing software code, and the field is intended for entering the version of the software that you wish to download, not the version you have. Since there are currently no new versions available for download, anything put into this field is "invalid".

When I mentioned that my CD did not contain the manual for the 9180, the technician said he would send me a new one since mine was bad. I told him I did not think my CD was bad, but that the manual simply was not included, and suggested that he actually look at a CD before sending it to me to make sure the manual was there. He said "I know it is". We'll see.

-Dennis

Reply to
new_hampster