acura rl engine revs when stopping!

just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. when i'm coming to a stop either at a red light or a parking space, the brake pedal seems to get a little hard and the engine revs like i've got the accelerator to the floor. it feels like it wants to take off! and all the time i have my foot on the brake, not the accelerator. it happens when i'm about

10-15 ft from stopping. nothing is touching the accellerator pedal to cause this. i slowly shift it to park and then shut it off. if does jerk a bit as i shift it while it's revving. someone suggested a vacuum issue? anyone else have this happen to them?

'96 rl premium

Reply to
r bewer

Keep in mind that if you have an automatic transmission, you're going to destroy the torque converter if you keep driving that car without the wild idle fixed.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Have the brake booster checked.

Reply to
« Paul »

I'll concurr, you have a vacuum leak in the brake booster's vacuum circuit, or something tee'd off the same line....the wild revving is the ECM commanding a higher idle to deal with the excess air it's not expecting...

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

I had this once - turned out to be a bad ground wire at the computer. There were other symptoms also - temp guage was erratic.

Reply to
oceangoing

the dealer mechanic said this could not happen, because of a limiter.

Reply to
r bewer

And this "dealer mechanic" couldn't fix it?

YES IT WILL DAMAGE THE TRANS. The sudden shock of the trans engaging has nasty side effects, damaged input shafts, splines sheared off the pump drive, damage to the differential or axles as well. Ever seen a transmission/axle fail during a drag race, that was due to instant shock loading of the part.

With a hard brake pedal and high idle I would say the vacuum line to the brake booster is split or disconnected. Could also be that the vacuum diaphragm in the booster has failed

Reply to
Steve W.