Adding alkaline water to coolants, no damage?

Water Ionizers websites claims that the ionization process actually enhances the minerals in water. It`s positively charge. As negatively charge (acidic water) eats out car parts. The small "micro-cluster" molecules of ionized alkaline restructured water should allow it to flow more easily throughout the engine, right? The small "micro-cluster" molecules of water should also increase cooling efficiency as they claim it boils faster, right?

I have one of their machines that can produce a ph of 9.5. Are they`re selling snake oil? If it makes people, dogs, plants healthier, so should my car, right?

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus

If roses smell better than onions they also make better soup, right?

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Ontario

Reply to
Boris Mohar

What are the molecules? Na(OH) ??? Ca(OH) ??? Either of those are more electrochemically active than Al and will replace the Al in your cooling system. That is not good.

Reply to
« Paul »

If anything, I would expect ionizing the make water more reactive and more likely to etch metal parts. I'd go with distilled water and antifreeze as it is designed (proper pH, etc.) to best protect the metal components... Your ionized water could negate the protective properties of the antifreeze.

Reply to
bobby

Approximately 10/29/03 23:35, Ricky Spartacus uttered for posterity:

Sure. And if you add an auxiliary hydrogen based fuel cell to you car, you can take the free hydrogen generated as that high of a PH comes in contact with the aluminum bits in your cooling system and engine...as it eats thru them. Try a bit of aluminum foil in a bit of drain cleaner....outdoors and away from open flames.

As for making either people or dogs healthier, riigghhhhhhhhht, but it will give you a good case of the green apple quickstep with most alkali's, which could cause weight loss I guess.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

The molecules are more of negatively charged Na(-OH), Ca(-OH) or what ever minerals found in the water. They have a redox potential of -250 to -350mv. If I'm correct, this even makes it incapable of oxidizing car parts.

Btw, not sure what Al is.

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus

If it has a redox-potential of -250 to -350 it shouldn't oxidize, right. Distilled and acidic waters are said to etch metal parts. But unsure about alkaline water. R

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus

Approximately 10/30/03 16:02, Ricky Spartacus uttered for posterity:

Aluminum. US Weather service uses aluminum and NaOH as hydrogen generator. Can do a pretty good number on bulk metallic aluminum as well, even in fairly dilute solution. High pH and aluminum is not a good mix for longevity.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I don`t get it, why would a high ph eat aluminum while another says a low ph eat aluminum. I`m told that a higher ph water contain more negatively charged molecules. Negatively charged stuff doesn`t oxidize but drain cleaners do as drain cleaners are positively charged. -R

Ricky Spartacus

Approximately 10/30/03 16:20, Ricky Spartacus uttered for posterity:

Why don't you try it? The reaction of aluminum and sodium hydroxide is a well known way to make hydrogen. Aluminum also reacts with acids.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Distilled water can etch metal? now that's a good one.

Reply to
Bob M.

This stuff is basically snake oil at best, potentially harmful at worst. Kids, we're talking 9th grade physical science here, did any of you stay awake during that class?

First: pH is rated on a scale of 0 to 14, 0 being strong acid, 14 being strong base, 7 being neutral. Acids are negatively charged ions, bases are positiv- ely charged ions. BOTH EAT METAL! When the two are combine they produce hydrogen gas, water, and salt (usually). Salt is not just table salt, it's a chemistry term for any substance produced between a base and an acid.

The most simple example is NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) and HCl (Hydro- chloric Acid). This produces H20 (water) and NaCl (table salt). You can also have CaOH, AlOH, KOH, numerous others. These can combine with all sorts of acids including H2SO4, HSO3, HNO3, Acetic Acid (vinegar), etcetera! Think about all of those big rigs and the signs they have like "ACID" and "CORROSIVE". The bases are corrosive, hence the term corrosion for the name of that white stuff when Aluminum rims CORRODE!!!

Now that we have the basics of the chemistry down lets look at some other aspects of these reactions. Aluminum (Al) is very susceptible to all reactions being positively charge with 3 ions. This means it is very willing to combine with negatively charged particles. Remember, about 75%+ of your engine is Aluminum!

Also, being that Al is so willing to combine, it is very willing to combine with bases to create stable compunds. Al(OH)3 is very common, it's the most typical of the corrosions seen on cars. Having said that, why are you trying to make your coolant charged either way!?!

The only thing you should _EVER_ _EVER_ _EVER_ be putting in your cooling system is the manufacturers' recommended coolant! Now, this can be represented by the OEM part, or an over the counter replacement as well. Just make sure it's the right one!

There are a great many types of coolant out there now, nearly as many as there are ATF types! Some are __N_O_T__ compatible with others. I've had an AC Delco rep tell me to NEVER mix the Orange Dex-Cool with green Ethylene Glycol as they mix to create a very mild acid that will eat away the Aluminum parts in your engine. Makes sense now, doesn't it?

Hoe this helps!

-andy

Reply to
Drew Hill

Reply to
bobby

Now it makes sense! People tell me to use a neutral PH on my coolant, and never explain why in great details.

People tell me that distilled water leaches car parts. Is this true?

Extra credits: If I run 1% of H2O2 (other 99% is water) thru a negatively charge electrode, the kind of electrode found inside water ionizers, will I get just a bunch of H20 and O or will I get a little bit of H2O2, water and oxygen?

Extra points: Will the H2O2 and O gain more electrons (reduced) or remain unchanged?

I`m a novice to chemistry and trying to make reduced 1% H2O2 for consumption but leaving unanswered questions above. Thanks, Rick

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus

Approximately 10/30/03 17:06, Bob M. uttered for posterity:

Well, to be really picky, if you distill water multiple times such that it is even more pure H2O than the ultra pure water used in semiconductor fab, it picks up some truly strange properties. Granted it will cost you to get it that pure and it tends not to stay that pure very long since it will indeed eat enough of a metal container to reduce it to mere ultra pure levels. You'll never see it that pure outside a specialized physics lab of course.

Reply to
Lon Stowell